Preparations Underway For Home Buyouts In EBR

Thirteen homes in a flood prone area of East Baton Rouge will soon be demolished.

Officials say 480 homeowners were eligible for a federal buyout program, but only a small portion of homeowners in the area decided to participate.

Homes in the area have flooded at least twice in the past, and will likely flood again in the future.

Once the houses are torn down, the land will be used for a number of drainage projects.

Homeowners will receive 75% of their home's fair market value, but local officials are working with the state in hopes of matching the remaining 25%.

Copyright © 2019 TTWN Media Networks LLC

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content