Tropical Storm Nate continues to barrel towards the Gulf of Mexico, heading for a landfall over the weekend.
Nate could be at category 1 hurricane strength as it moves across southeast Louisiana. The major impact from the storm appears to be from winds at this time rather than rain due to the expectation that Nate will move quickly through the area.
Landfall is expected overnight Sunday.
A hurricane watch is in effect for:
- Morgan City Louisiana to the Mississippi/Alabama border
- Metropolitan New Orleans
- Lake Pontchartrain and Lake Maurepas
A storm surge watch is in effect for:
- Morgan City Louisiana to the Alabama/Florida border
- Northern and western shores of Lake Pontchartrain
A tropical storm watch is in effect for:
- Mississippi/Alabama border to the Okaloosa/Walton County Line
- West of Morgan City to Intracoastal City Louisiana