(WBRZ News 2) Officials in several parishes in Southeast Louisiana have released locations where residents can pick up sand and sandbags in preparation for heavy rainfall from Harvey.
Though Harvey is currently unpredictable when it comes to how it will affect Louisiana, officials are urging residents to stay prepared ahead of whatever may come.
Sand and sandbags are currently available at the following BREC Park locations in East Baton Rouge Parish:
- BREC Airline Highway Fairground - 16072 Airline Highway
- BREC Alsen Park - 601 Old Rafe Meyer Road
- BREC Doyles Bayou Park - 7801 Port Hudson-Pride Road
- BREC Flannery Road Park - 801 South Flannery Road
- BREC Hartley-Vey at Gardere Park - 1702 Gardere Lane
- BREC Memorial Stadium - 1702 Foss Street
- BREC Lovett Road Park - 13443 Lovett Road
- St. George Fire Department Headquarters - 14100 Airline Highway
- Chaneyville volunteer Fire Department - Station 40 - 22790 Reames Road
- Pride Fire Station No. 10 - 20920 Carson Road.
Iberville Parish Council has listed the following as sandbag locations as of August 28, 2017.
- Iberville Parish Barn @ 59705 Bayou Rd. Plaquemine
- Seymourville Subdivision (Ware Dr. and Harris St.)
- Bayou Sorrel Fire Station @ 33275 Hwy 75
- Bayou Pigeon Fire Station @ 38305 Hwy 75
- White Castle Town Hall @ 32535 Bowie St.
- White Castle Fire Station @ 57660 Hwy 404
- Bayou Goula playground on Cpl. Herman Brown, Jr. St.
- Grosse Tete Town Hall @ 18125 Willow St.
- Rosedale across from Town Hall 76535 Rosedale Rd
- Maringouin Town Hall @ 77510 Landry Dr.
- East Iberville Fire Station @ 2075 Hwy 30
Livingston Parish Sheriffs say sandbags can be picked up at the following locations:
District 1 – Albany29778 S. Montpelier Ave.Albany, La
District 2 – Springfield32280 Terry St.Springfield, La
District 3 – Denham Springs930 Government Dr.Denham Springs, La
District 4 – WalkerStation 129758 S. Palmetto St.Walker, La
Station 235455 Walker North Rd.Walker, La
Station 334893 Hwy 1019Denham Springs, La
Station 613215 Arnold Rd.Walker, La
Station 725110 Walker South Rd.Denham Springs, La
District 5 – Denham Springs8098 Florida Blvd.Denham Springs, La
District 6 – Livingston20550 Circle Dr.Livingston, La
District 7 – Colyell19784 Hwy 42Livingston, La
District 8 – French Settlement15160 LA-16French Settlement, La
District 9 – MaurepasStation 123634 Highway 22Maurepas, La
Station 220368 Hwy 22 (Head of Island)Maurepas, La
In Baker, sand and sandbags can be collected at 3325 Groom Road and the Public Works Building at 1507 Mississippi Street.
Residents are being urged to bring their own shovels to fill the sandbags. Real-time information about the locations can be found here.
Sandbags can be acquired in Ascension Parish at the following fire stations:
- 7th District VFD on Roddy Road
- St. Amant VFD Station 60 on Stringer Bridge Road
- Geismar VFD on Hwy. 73
- 5th Ward VFD on Hwy. 22
- Church Street in Dolandsonville near LaLa Baseball Field
Loose sand and empty sandbags are being prepared for distribution at all fire stations and at the curve in Hwy. 431 at Lake Martin. Officials ask residents to bring shovels and man power to fill the bags at these locations.
West Baton Rouge Parish is providing self-service bags and sand for residence of the parish. Even though shovels will be at the sites, residents are encouraged to bring their own shovel.
Bags and sand are at the following locations:
- Erwinville Ball Park off Rougon Road
- Rivault Park in Port Allen near Pete Riviere Drive
- William and Lee Park on Louisiana Avenue
- Alexander Park near Elaine Street by the Water Tower
- Myhand Park in Addis Southeast corner off Laws Road
- Addis Fire Station on LA1
The East Feliciana Parish Sheriff's Office will also make sandbags available at the East Feliciana Parish Prison on Haynes St. in Clinton. Help will be available for this who need assistance filling the sandbags.
Pointe Coupee Parish has released a list of sandbag locations at local firestations.
Fire District No. 1 , Innis Fire Station near the library
Fire District No. 2, Morganza Station on Sansone Street
Fire District No. 3, Oscar, Lakeland and Ventress stations
Fire Distrct No. 4, Fordoche Ball Park and Livonia Public Works Deparement
Fire District No. 5, Training Center and Waterloo station
St. Martin Parish is distributing sandbags from 7:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. until further notice at the following locations: South Barn-Off of Capritto Forty Arpent Road Ruth Bridge Barn-Ruth Bridge City Of Breaux Bridge-Old DOTD site located at the corner of Refinery and Berard Street The St. Martin Parish Public Safety Complex located at 4870 Main Hwy. (corner of Main Hwy. and Cypress Island Extension).
The Public Works Facilities in Tangipahoa Parish are distributing sandbags until 7 p.m.
Pleasant Ridge Public Works
44512 W Pleasant Ridge Rd
Hammond, La. 70401
Roseland Public Works
63101 Commercial St
Roseland, La. 70456