DENHAM SPRINGS - A handful of deteriorating roads are set for a face lift in Denham Springs.
It's part of a funding program that uses money from the federal government through the Department of Transportation and Development. River Road from Government Street to Centerville was repaved just weeks ago. Maple Street and Julia Street are next on the list in the program.
Last year a school bus with children inside drove off Maple Street into a ditch to avoid an oncoming car. People who drive the narrow road say it's dangerous.
"You have to really hug the edge of the pavement in order to pass another vehicle right here," said one resident. "So the buses coming through here are coming dangerously close to other cars."
Maple and Julia Streets will be bid on next year, according to Denham Springs Mayor Jimmy Durbin. Denham Springs only has to pay for 20 percent of the cost with the other 80 percent paid for by DOTD. The roads must qualify and be approved by the Metropolitan Planning Organization.
"All of these roads, because of the volume of traffic on the roadways, qualify those roadways for review," said Durbin. "So that's what our job is as the mayor and city council is to submit these roadways to see if they'll qualify for the 80 percent match."
The city also plans to submit Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and the rest of River Road from Centerville to Range Avenue for approval. Those projects would be bid on in 2016.