ARABI- State health officials said Thursday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found Naegleria fowleri, the scientific name for the deadly brain-eating amoeba, in the parish water system.
Four locations tested positive in Arabi and Violet, both towns outside New Orleans.
The tests were done after a child died from a brain-eating amoeba last week in St. Bernard Parish.
"The water is safe to drink and there are basic precautions that families can take -- such as chlorinating their pools and avoiding getting water in their noses -- to protect themselves, though infection from this ameba is very rare," Louisiana health officer Jimmy Guidry said in a news release.
Naegleria fowleri is a rare infection that has been associated with three deaths traced to water in Louisiana since 2011.